• Switch off electrical items that are not in regular use at the plug and unplug and switch off if you are away from the house for any length of time.
• Do not use items with damaged cords. Check items regularly.
• Always have checks and repairs done by a registered electrician. Your local Care & Repair has a list of approved, local contractors.
• Ensure all electrical items have the BEAB seal of approval and keep them correctly maintained.
• If you experience a power cut, simply call 105 for free. 105 is the new nationwide number that will put you through to your local electricity network operator – the company that manages the cables, wires and substations that bring electricity into your home.